[Buddha-l] caste-ist term ?

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Mon Jul 27 02:15:44 MDT 2009

Jayarava <jayarava at yahoo.com> writes

  but one still sees many publications and websites which, for example,
equate the Theravda school with "The Hnayna".

I used to hear this quite often, but I rarely hear it now. I have always
challenged it.  Behind the misapplication of this term can lie the pride
of that which has not been achieved.

I think we must reject this view of history as fallacious and see the
later teachings as having been developed some centuries after the Buddha

We just don't know.

Sadly I think the whole notion of hnayna as the teachings which do not
lead to liberation (hna meaning 'defective')

I was not aware of this meaning. I thought it was liberation but without
the capacity to help others by not having overcome the obstructions that
hinder that.

There really is nothing mah about mahyna at least in terms of a
useful comparison with other forms of Buddhism - it's pure sectarianism.

Giving something a name in order to distinguish its characteristics does
not amount to sectarianism. It could provide a useful label like, dare I
say, the word 'ordained'.

Hawk it up and spit it out I say.

In a phlegmatic sort of way, maybe.

--