[Buddha-l] Gremium, Ordination and Vinaya

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Jul 24 09:22:35 MDT 2009

On Jul 24, 2009, at 3:07 AM, Chris Fynn wrote:

> In the Tibetan tradition the vinaya is "secret" and supposed to only
> be
> studied by monks.

The same is apparently true in Taiwan. I had a Taiwanese Buddhist nun
in my class many years ago, and she was horrified when I gave the
students some sections of the Theravāda vinaya to read. She said that
knowing the vinaya as a lay person makes a person ineligible for the
rest of her life to receive ordination. She said I was therefore an
obstacle to the Dharma, since I was making it impossible for my
students to become monks. I told her that such a prohibition does not
exist in Theravāda; I can now cite as evidence the fact that one of my
former students just sent me a photograph of himself in robes after
taking upasampadā in Thailand. (Please forgive the redundancy. The
term "upasampadā" means "the act of taking", and it makes no sense to
say "taking the act of taking." So early in the day, and already I
digress.)

> Most say laypeople are not supposed to read since it
> is believed they might misinterpret things and loose respect for the
> monastic sangha - which would of course be detrimental to their
> spiritual well being.

Something I have heard Theravādin monks say is that if one studies the
vinaya at all, then one should study it very thoroughly, because
without a very thorough knowledge, one is likely to misconstrue the
rules and procedures for deciding how they are to be followed. The
principle, not unknown in other fields of study, is that a little bit
of knowledge is a dangerous thing. It is not surprising that there are
contexts in which the default assumption is that lay people will
probably dabble in vinaya rather than to dive deeply into it.

> IMO if some teacher has seriously harmed someone they should
> probably be
> sued for damages in the court - or, where that harm involves a crime,
> reported to the police. Reporting to a "Buddhist panel" only invites
> cover-up.

As I understand it, this is how civil matters have been handled since
the beginning of the vinaya. A violation of the laws of the land is
automatically a vinaya offense. Similarly, being in financial debt and
being a deserter from the army are obstacles to ordination.
(Interesting that one cannot become a beggar, at least in a Buddhist
context, if one is in debt. That makes to digressions in one posting.
Somebody stop me before I digress again!)

This whole preoccupation with being a pseudo-bhikkhu is a pseudo-
problem. There is absolutely nothing to prevent anyone from shaving
his or her head and wearing robes and teaching Dharma. It is not
considered offensive to dress like a monk. What IS a vinaya offense is
to attend paṭimokkha recitations if one has not received ordination
or if one has been permanently or temporarily disbarred from attended
those ceremonies. It is also an offense to participate in the quorum
of ten monks in good standing (known in Buddhist circles as a minyan)
that are required to give ordination to a new monk if one is not in
fact a monk in good standing. If one is not illegitimately attending
paṭimokkha or upasampadā ceremonies, then one is not posing as a
bhikkhu in a way that requires action. And if one IS attending those
ceremonies on false pretenses, there are procedures within the vinaya
for dealing with the matter. No Gremium other than the bhikkhu-sangha
is necessary.

Dayāmati Dharmacārī (posing as a secular professor of Buddhist
philosophy)