[Buddha-l] Ordination and Vinaya

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Jul 22 16:43:40 MDT 2009

I can see how gremium/gremio evolved to encompass orders, or
guilds--the word basically suggests a *container*, and an order
or a guild is a container of people. Hows that for speculative
etymology?

The female genitalia part reminds me of slang, where womb is
called *oven*--and the reverse might have eventuated with
*gremium* being used to bowdlerize more factual terms for female
genitalia.

J-pedantica-K

Behalf Of David Casacuberta
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 1:59 PM

Dear friends:

If it helps, in Spanish, "gremio",  can be translated as "Guild"
so I guess both the German and the Spanish come from a common
latin root.

best wishes

David