[Buddha-l] women & , er, religion

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Jul 22 10:53:06 MDT 2009

Thanks to Richard for clarifying the Nixon caper.
It saved me from making a booboo when I was organising a letter
protesting some dumb memorial peace walk and bricklaying in honor
of our role at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, that an organization,
devoted to the anti-nuke campaign here, were part of. I thought I
should send them a brick bat instead of a brick lay.

(Has brick laying become au courant in your towns, folks? Here in
Boise it's the prime way to get your name in public after you
donated or did something for some organization. The bricks are
installed in pavements, not in walls. Amusingly for anyone
involved in Indian culture, walking on a name would be an insult.
Also reminds me of Dorothy's yellow brick road in The Wizard of
Oz movie, i.e., delusions of peace and happiness.)

Sorry, I digress. I wanted to remind them how unsuccessful it was
for the ultimately peace-loving Quakers to remove war monger
Nixon from their midst, but your clarification of the story now
suggests that it wouldn't be exactly an apt example. The intended
point would've been that people who go on these regular now
fetishised peace (etc) walks (this was not a fund-raiser, BTW)
are the same folks every time. War-loving folks are immune to
this kind of massage and message. But even most of those, it now
seems today, are aghast at the idea of a nuclear bomb going off
somewhere, yet they have no qualms about building more nuclear
industries that create the fuel for making more bombs. So
associating this industry with peace, to me, is not only an
oxymoron but also moronic. Peace at large has no possibility of
stopping the production of more of such weapons. As a Buddhist I
am totally against weapons industries and in favor of real peace.

Probably all as delusional as the opposite..

Joanna