[Buddha-l] women & , er, religion

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Jul 21 17:43:04 MDT 2009

We, the undersigned, must strenuously disagree with Jayarava here. As we understand Buddhist ordination, the FWBO does not ordain women at all. That is because it does not ordain ANYONE in the sense most Buddhists understand ordination. There are no bhikkhus or bhikkhunis who follow the vinaya in the FWBO. It is extremely misleading to call dharmachari(ni) initiation "ordination". It is, well, the word just used: initiation. In India they call the ceremony of becoming a dharmachari(ni) dīkṣā (diik.saa, for those who lack Unicode capabilities), which means any religious ceremony or investiture or initiation. Dharmacāridīkṣā is never called upasampadā.

Dayamati Dharmachari (WBO)
and Richard Hayes (RSFQ)
So, Richard,

Thanks for the extra about the Quakers having no laity....inspiring idea. I'd also forgotten that Nixon wasn't excomunicated, alas.

Back to the WBO--well,  if no ordination only diikshaa, then in the WBO what kind of
office is a 'mitra' and how does it differ from being an initiand?

Joanna