[Buddha-l] Extreme practice

Jamie Hubbard jhubbard at email.smith.edu
Sun Jul 12 12:47:37 MDT 2009

As others have pointed out, this is the kaihōgyō 回峰行 practice atop
Mt. Hiei, recently (well, in the sixties) brought back after a hiatus. I
too have known at least two priests who have completed the practice (I
believe that it is always done together with a number of other ascetic
practices, such as 12 years not leaving the mountain, ten-day fast, and
some other stuff). There are several documentaries and books about it. I
even walked a part of it several nights in a row back about 30 years ago.

My experience also was that, a number of years later visiting Mt. Hiei,
the fellow that I had briefly accompanied was also an arrogant and
pompous guy. I just figured that it was because he had become a celeb--
he was handing out postcards w/ his pic and bio-promo information. I
wonder how this compares to the well known phenomena of forest recluses
ending up with incredible worldly power and influence? Similar yet
different?

Jamie