[Buddha-l] Extreme practice

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Jul 8 09:35:04 MDT 2009

Finger burning is also found among Korean Buddhist monks, although the
practice is officially prohibited. Robert Buswell discusses it in his
"Zen Monastic Experience", in which he devotes a chapter subsection to
"Finger Burning":

"One of the most severe ascetic practices, which involves actual
self-mortification, is finger burning. Many Korean monks have burned
their fingers as an ascetic practice or as an offering to the Buddha,
not in association with any ordination procedure, as the Chinese used to
do. The fourth finger of the left hand is the digit most commonly
sacrificed, moving then to the last finger of the left, to the fourth
finger on the right, and so forth...." [pp. 195-196]

Buswell follows the section on finger burning with one on "Self-Immolation".

My own opinion is that there is nothing inherently wrong with most
extreme practices, as long as we are talking about people who are
serious practitioners with no (other) signs of mental illness, and also
as long as we are not essentially talking about suicide. Anything that
directly results in cutting one's own life short should be put in a
separate category, because of the great value that needs to be placed on
not only being born human, but being born under circumstances conducive
to practice.

Curt