[Buddha-l] Extreme practice

Weng-Fai Wong wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Tue Jul 7 01:33:17 MDT 2009

> Full body prostrations as a mode of travel and penance is
> found throughout Mahayana countries. Middle aged Taiwanese women can often
> be seen engaged in that "practice." The famous Chinese monk Xuyun (Empty
> Cloud) traveled to Burma from China that way. How damaging and detrimental
> is it? He lived to 113.

I presume that's the traditional "3 steps, one prostration" practice.

I was once on the way up to Vulture's Peak. We were all panting from the
climb when mid-way, we saw a group of middle aged Taiwanese ladies in the
lay black robes (many of whom cannot possibly be more fit than me), doing
the 3 steps, 1 prostration all the way from the foot up. Really impressed
me.

W.F. Wong