[Buddha-l] Dogmatic opinions vs. philosophical convictions

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Jul 5 18:13:18 MDT 2009

On Jul 3, 2009, at 10:31 AM, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> Richard asks:
>
>> Various scholars of Indian thought I have known have stressed the
>> difference between an unconsidered view (dṛṣṭi) and a carefully
>> reasoned position (darśana).
>
> Since dṛṣṭi and darśana are based on the same root, "to see,
> viewpoint,
> perspective", the distinction suggested by Ruegg et al. seems
> artificial, an
> assigning of an oppositional significance to terms that had/have no
> such
> significance.

Don't forget the maxim śāstrād rūḍhir balīyasī, which can mean,
among other things, that conventional usage prevails over derivation.
Usage confirms that this distinction is made by many thinkers. What I
am asking is how widespread the distinction was and when it was first
made.

> Neither Nagarjuna nor Candrakirti would
> appreciate being told that they embrace a darśana. The dṛṣṭis
> Nagarjuna
> deconstructs in MMK are all philosophical.

That not withstanding, there are Mādhyamikas who would claim that
Nāgārjuna most definitely did have a darśana, namely the well-
considered philosophical viewpoint that all views based on the
unfounded assumption that beings that have identities are false.

> There were periodic debates, esp. once Nagarjuna entered the picture,
> concerning whether there was any such thing as an actual "right
> view" --
> whether all views were misleading, moha, etc. (one understanding of
> Madhyamaka, consistent with MMK and Candrakirti); or whether Buddhism
> required the acceptance of some "right" view. Yogacara tended to make
> arguments for the latter position, as did most other Buddhist schools,
> although what each identified as acceptable "right views" invariably
> differed between schools.

Yes, that is exactly one of the issues being contested by the
followers of Candrakīrti and followers of Bhāvaviveka. I am trying to
sort out their interpretations. Hence my request for information about
the distinction between dṛṣṭi and darśana.

Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy
University of New Mexico
http://www.unm.edu/~rhayes