[Buddha-l] modern buddhist teachers

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 2 12:55:14 MDT 2009

Curt Steinmetz schreef:
> So far we've got HHDL, TNH and RAR (Robert Aitken Roshi).
>
> I don't really think the criteria I proposed are all that difficult to
> work with - especially given the examples from Hinduism that I included:
> Vivekananda, Gandhi and Aurobindo.
>
> HHDL probably comes the closest - in fact I believe he is the only one
> even in the running. He is extremely popular among Asian Buddhists -
> especially in Taiwan and Japan (as well as, naturally, among Central
> Asian Buddhists). And yet where Aurobindo, Vivekananda and Gandhi were
> all committed to the complete liberation and independence of India, HHDL
> has adopted a far more accommodating approach with respect to the brutal
> conquest of Tibet by the Chinese, which I think greatly undercuts his
> potential appeal and influence (and importance), although it sells well
> among aging hippies in the West.
>
> Curt

What about Sogyal Rche, Namkhai Norbu or Tartang Tulku?
It has been long since I've been in touch with their fans. Perhaps Norbu is not a good candidate because he has become a lot more traditional than he used to be.

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950
Productie: http://www.olivepress.nl