[Buddha-l] David Lynch and Paul McCartney promote TM in schools

Alex Wilding alex at chagchen.org
Wed Jan 28 17:18:07 MST 2009

I am not an expert in this field, but the comments below surprise me.
Those of us with a cultural centre of gravity in Europe are often horrified at the close involvement of religion in the American state - god is on the dollar, and in the pledge of allegiance, for goodness' sake. Personally I think allegiance to god should, if not disqualify, certainly weigh heavily against someone standing for public office, on grounds of conflict of loyalty - but that's not a popular view, I know.

It's true that officially the C of E is the state religion of the UK, though the Archbish of Canterbury has, I believe, been suggesting that this unholy anachronism should go. I'd be very surprised indeed if the government subsidises the C of E - surely most of its money comes from property? Do you have any data on that? I think it's true that German state supports churches, but only, as far as I know, through the Kirchensteuer, which is voluntary. When I worked there I, of course, opted out.

As for France, separation of church and state (laïcité) is pursued much more vigorously than in what I know of America (or the UK for that matter, of course).

All the best
Alex Wilding