[Buddha-l] Aupaduka

Bradley Clough Bradley.clough at mso.umt.edu
Sat Jan 24 13:17:22 MST 2009

On Jan 24, 2009, at 10:37 AM, Piya Tan wrote:

> Dear Dan (or anyone interested),
>
> I need to consult you on a technical term.
>
> Max Deeg, in his paper presented to the "Closer to Reality
> Conference,"
> held in Kuala Lumpur in Dec 2008, translates aupapaaduka as "being
> just
> before rebirth" (Tib brdzus te ske-k'ai sems-can) in connection with
> the
> Wheel of Life, saying that Viniitadeva takes it to mean bar-ma-do'i
> srid-pa'i sem-can (being between two existences). In other words,
> aupapaaduka refers to the intermediate being.
>
> (1) Could you please let me know if the Tibetan quote is correct (if
> possible give me their spellings in the Tibetan script, too).
>
> (2) What do you think of Pali "opapaatika" and "aupapaaduka" being
> synonyms. As such, the Pali term opapaatika would both mean
> "spontaneously
> born" (for non-returners" as well as "intermediate being".

Sorry for just sending out a blank message: I hit the send button too
soon!

Yes, the Pali Text Society's Pali-English dictionary defines
opapaatika as "spontaneously born" or "born without a cause" (meaning
"born without parents"). But I don't see any connection with the
intermediate state or the intermediate state being, since the Pali
tradition does not subscribe to a belief in the intermediate state. It
does seem to posit a space of time between death & rebirth, but it
doesn't call it the "intermediate state" and certainly no such thing
as the "intermediate state being" is accepted (in contrast to SOME
other early traditions). Rather, they refer to the "rebirth-linking
consciousness" (pati.sandhi-vin~n~aan.a) as the entity which passes
from one life to the next. (This idea is not found in the Pali
Nikaayas or Vinaya; it is first found in the Milinda-pan~a, and then
later is more fully defined in the Visuddhimagga and other later
commentarial material, as well as the 12th century 'Summary of
Abhidhamma' [Abhidhmmattha-sam.gaha]). As for Sanskrit equivalents,
the dictionary sees the "Buddhist-Hybrid"  Sanskrit  aupapaaduka as a
"curious distortion" of the Pali  opapaatika.

Bradley Clough
The University of Montana
bradley.clough at mso.umt.edu