[Buddha-l] speaking about rebirth--again--new book

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Jan 21 15:23:11 MST 2009

........and I hope to read it--eventually--now that I can get it
on ILL
Joanna
==============

Joanna,

> Stephen R. Bokenkamp
> Ancestors and Anxiety : Daoism and the Birth of Rebirth in
China UC
> Press, 2007.
> http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/10645.php

Steve Bokenkamp is one of the leading American scholars on
Daoism. In this book he tries to show that the idea of rebirth
was not simply a Buddhist import absorbed as such by Chinese
culture, but it developed its own narrative and ritualistic
characteristics, drawing equally on pre-Buddhist native Chinese
traditions. It's a facinating, rich read, focusing on a few
germinal texts.

Dan