[Buddha-l] Wealth and excess

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Fri Jan 16 22:00:17 MST 2009

 Hi Vicente,

The Buddha left punishment up to the secular rulers, kings or
chiefs in his day (and of course consequences to the working of
karma).  Mass crimes would not be eradicated by mass killing.
Only a few members of any conspiracy get their just deserts in
secular courts. The rest stay on to perpetuate the mass culture
that led to the crimes in the first place.
I don't see that the Chan story helps in this instance--Jingshan
probably felt it was better to eat than to go hungry?
A Buddhist choice is to figure out how these things keep on
keeping on, and to help deal with them as we are able. If we
arrive at some plausible answers, then we can try to spread the
answers around. As individuals living in a mass society, I can't
see how individuals are able to remediate much more than that.
The Buddha's 'society' was composed of many little outfits here
and there, scattered over the Gangetic plain and in the hills, a
few towns, but probably nothing like a mass society.

Joanna