[Buddha-l] Wealth and excess

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Fri Jan 16 11:25:30 MST 2009

Gang,

Thanks, Joanna, for quoting the part of the article that quotes D. W.
Winnicott. That made me go and read the whole thing. Lovely and also
terribly sad.

Mandatory Buddhist content: Winnicott's embrace of kindness grows
directly from his view of the person as fundamentally inter-personal.
We exist most fully--Winnicott might even say *only*--when we play in
the potential space, a space that is neither part of our interior
world, nor part of the external world, but not separate from either.
One might say it is the place Thich Nhat Hanh calls "interbeing." Not
everyone can do this, of course, as Winnicott says in the article.
Rather, it is an achievement of love, the sort of love that arises
from wisdom and compassion.

Franz