[Buddha-l] reincarnation versus rebirth

Vera, Pedro L. pvera at health.usf.edu
Fri Jan 16 09:36:11 MST 2009

I agree that it poses some interesting challenges. However, I see, at least, three solutions.

1) This is the most difficult one: Arrange to have your delivery through c-section in one of your previous lives (as you suggested).

2) Assume (or declare) that the doctors/health care practictioners that performed the c-section, and possibly your parents who agreed to it, are true bodhisattvas and directly responsible for your liberation from samsara. As such, one would owe them a tremendous debt of gratitute.

3) Finally (and I think this is the easiest and most lucrative option),  you could CLAIM that you planned in previous lifetimes which would attest to your advanced accomplishments and allow you to start recruiting disciples. A few robes, a few chants later, some incense, a church, some TV time for teledharma, and you're all set. Of course, you'd be competing with all the other people making claims of a similar nature (and claims to the public's wallet), but I have great confidence in people's willingness to believe anything. Besides, you'd have a better chance of making money that keeping it in JPMorgan, Citigroup stock. Gotta love free-rein capitalism!

Pedro

>It seems impractical, though. How does one go about arranging to be
>"born" via C-section? In fact, if one were capable of pulling that off
>the clear implication is that an advanced stage of siddhidom has already
>been attained.
Curt