[Buddha-l] Wealth and excess

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Jan 15 10:24:04 MST 2009

If corporations are treated in law as persons, does that mean
they are subject to the law of karma? If so, the link I'm posting
for Multinational Monitor fits the requirements of this list, and
recent developments in the finance sectors seem to confirm the
effects of karma on corporate behavior.

See
http://www.multinationalmonitor.org/mm2008/112008/weissman.html
on their 2008 list of the ten worst corporations.

The vast illegal, as well as greedy and delusional, behavior that
recently hit the financial markets of the world, seems to me to
illustrate the danger of any human entity, whether an individual
like Madoff, or corporations like AIG et al., having too much
wealth.
Yes, the dharma teachings don't inveigh against wealth per se,
but the middle way also supports non-excess.  It seems that in
today's globalised corporate world, the term excess has lost
meaning. And of course recently, it also lost tons of wealth.

Cheers,
Joanna