[Buddha-l] Enneagram and Buddhism

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Jan 10 17:08:44 MST 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-10 at 15:32 -0500, Curt Steinmetz wrote:

> In fact, Socrates encouraged his friends to consult and heed oracles.
> Indeed "gnothi seauton", as everyone knows, is associated with the
> oracle of Apollo at Delphi (the same oracle that declared Socrates to be
> the wisest of men).

You are talking, I presume, of the same Socrates who made fun of the
oracle for saying that Socrates was the wisest of men. Ridiculing an
oracle hardly constitutes encouragement to consult oracles.

> Socrates also, according to his own account, relied heavily on guidance
> from his personal daimon - what new age type people today refer to as a
> "spirit guide".

Probably a better translation for "daimon" is "critical thinking."

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy