[Buddha-l] Enneagram and Buddhism

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat Jan 10 12:53:32 MST 2009

"New Age religion is simply what religion looks like when people
are allowed to think whatever they please. Much of it is
unedifying in the extreme, but the messiness of spiritual
anarchism is much to be preferred over the alternatives proposed
by those who like their spiritual trains to run on time. "

Good to know that the reams of new agers who started their
rebellions in the 19th c if not earlier weren't anywhere near as
hierarchical as the versions we'd been discussing--the
enneagramographers and the other one (Jungian I think it was).
I'm for messiness. Keep the pot boiling.
Joanna
=================

Just five minutes ago I picked up and started reading "Secular
Spirituality: Reincarnation and Spiritism in Nineteenth Century
France"
by Lynn L. Sharp. Spiritism preceded Spiritualism which preceded
Theosophy. Along the way there were also Mesmerism,
Swedenborgianism and of course even before those there was
Rosicrucianism, Freemasonry, etc.
Quietism, Quakerism, Shakerism and Pacifism also spring up from
this same fertile ground - and all these roots are intertwined.

"New Age religion" is simply what religion looks like when people
are allowed to think whatever they please. Much of it is
unedifying in the extreme, but the messiness of spiritual
anarchism is much to be preferred over the alternatives proposed
by those who like their spiritual trains to run on time.

For the moment I have decided to drop everything else and just
read Lynn Sharp's fascinati

Curt