[Buddha-l] Enneagram and Buddhism

Vicente Gonzalez vicen.bcn at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 18:19:32 MST 2009

D. Bikkhu wrote:

DB> It's remarkable how many readers of the Visuddhimagga overlook this passage.
DB> There have even been books published on meditation (authored by moha-caritas,
DB> presumably) detailing the Visuddhimagga's methods of diagnosis-by-observation
DB> as if they were something that Buddhaghosa wholeheartedly approved.

there is a graphical schema of Visuddhimagga methods and types inside
"Buddhist Scriptures", E.Conze, 1959, which was a very popular book.
I think the Penguin Editorial substitute it for a different
recompilation made by Donald S. Lopez using the same title. Although
the Conze's selection was better, I think.
Now it seems the book is published again and still maintain the 6
position in the Amazon's sacred writings best-sellers:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/15755351/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_b_1_4_last

The passage you have cited is absent in the Conze version.
You can see these schemas in this version on-line (search for  "4. The
Six Types Of Persons" ):
http://www.lojajinarajadasa.com/7.3.g.BuddhistScriptures.html#02

best regards,