[Buddha-l] Maylie Scott Roshi

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 18:02:44 MST 2009

Thanks for the memories, Franz.
My one regret while in California: I have not seen the redwoods live.

(I remember writing a poem about that experience--now I have to look where I
have stashed it.)

Anyways [that northern Californian], that's the cost for frequenting the
caverns of the UCB libraries. I should have responded at "the first
branchtips" when they brushed at my window.

Poems are second best when you missed the direct experience. Yet they have a
magic of their own.

Maylie gave me a copy of Rainer Maria Rilke's "Duino Elegies" (tr Stephen
Mitchell) in 1994 when I left Berkeley for home (Malaysia then).

With metta,

Piya Tan