[Buddha-l] Enneagram and Buddhism

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Jan 8 14:31:47 MST 2009

JK:
> Hmmm---however, Enneatype 3 doesn't deal with the other mass
Amurrikan
> phenomenon, the TV-beerslugging couch potato.

RH:
>The couch potato is usually foaming at the mouth in wild
anticipation of his favorite sports team WINNING. The adoration
of victors (and the correlative contempt of losers) is the mark
of a Three and of almost all American males (except for those who
subscribe to buddha-l---we carefully screen all sport fans out).

JK:
Hmm again---I had to laugh at my naivete about couch potatoes not
being 3s. It's because when I watch a game (some college football
only, not all--a hangover from youth), I'm rootin' for the
underdog.

RH:
>When I think of how many times we Americans had to listen to
John McCain accusing Barack Obama of favoring a policy of "waving
the white flag of surrender" or how many times various people in
the Bush administration said that the US could leave Iraq only
when victory had been assured, I think Rohr's identification of
the USA and Israel as predominately Three cultures is not too
wide of the mark. ...................

>The cardinal sin to which Threes are prone is said to be
deceptiveness.
Richard Rohr gives the example of the American military naming
its most deadly attack missile "The Peacemaker". (Rohr thinks
that is deception. But is it? How better to make it peaceful than
to kill everything  alive?)

JK: Ah yes---This does remind me that when India exploded their
first trial nuclear bomb, the coded intentionally deceptive
report to Indira Gandhi was, "Buddha smiled."
Maybe the people who rise to rulership anywhere are 3s? Thinking
of kings in the suttas, Ajaatasattu, who wanted to wipe out the
Vajjians and take over their lands, comes to mind.

Not-in-any-suttas Cheney/Bush come to mind.

Joanna