[Buddha-l] Enneagram and Buddhism

Timothy Smith smith at wheelwrightassoc.com
Wed Jan 7 09:30:23 MST 2009

You may want examine a tradition in the enneagram that uses a
questionnaire merely
as a starting place.  The true work is done in  groups where
skillfully led panels of self-identified
types discuss their experience.  Individuals come to see themselves as
a certain
type because they've come to know that about themselves through the
process of listening and
identifying.  As a skilled dharma teacher might, enneagram teachers
are capable of helping
individuals appreciate where they may be not seeing clearly and assist
them to clarify the
self-identification process.

As others have said.  You can jack around with any instrument, and on
any given day,
you're more or less likely to have a different view of yourself.
Enneagram awareness
is built over time, not garnered quickly at the tip of a
pencil....much as most dharma
practitioners don't find their seat for some period of practice.s

Dr. David Daniels of Stanford at http://www.enneagramworldwide.com/
has done some
of the work I think scholars here may appreciate.

Again, I see over and over in this extended thread, the idea that
'typing' is a parlor game.
Only if thats what you want it to be.  Its a useful tool if you have a
use for it.  If not,
leave it in the bag until you're ready.

Timothy Smith
Wheelwright Associates