[Buddha-l] Enneagram and Buddhism

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 20:23:11 MST 2009

Hi Franz,

Maylie was a dynamic and spiritual person indeed. I remember our walk
amongst the foxgloves at Point Reyes. We sat at the sheer cliff edge and
could see seals playing in the waters below.

Once she asked me if I wanted to join in one of the inter-religious social
action walks in a poor part of Oakland (if I remember rightly), where we
"took over" a row of houses condemned by the authorities.

I remember a police copter hovering above for a while, and that's the only
police presence that I remember. Anyway we took over the houses, cleaned
them up, Maylie's daughter, did some plumbing for them.

Earlier on we had a inter-religious gathering in one of the old churches.
Maylie struck a gong to mark the occasion.

She also briefed me regarding what happens during such an action. The police
would usually arrest only those leading the crowd. And when you are caught
by them, she told me, simply get into a kneeling position and gassho! If you
do not want to be arrested, then remain in the back rows. Anyway, it would
usually be only a night in the can.

One amusing anecdote she told me was when she met this very same police who
has arrested her the previous year. The policeman said something like, "You
know it's my duty to do this.But at the end of the day, I hang my uniform,
then I think you are doing the right thing."

More info on Maylie can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maylie_Scott

http://www.arcatazengroup.org/maylie.php

With metta,