[Buddha-l] Enneagram and Buddhism

Leigh Goldstein leigh at deneb.org
Mon Jan 5 13:47:12 MST 2009

After reading Naranjo's "Character and Neurosis: An Integrative View" and "Ennea-type Structures: Self-Analysis for the Seeker", it became very obvious to me that my personality and my behavior were a close fit to type 5, and that the inner psychological dynamics of that type fit me very well.

This caused me to see (surprise) that some (not all) things I had considered "good", desirable and a valuable part of my nature were actually obstacles to what I wanted; just like many people had been telling me all my life.

As Richard says, some of the attraction of meditation for me was avoidance of relationship and the denial of the need for relationship. Shortly after this, my mediation seemed to get significantly (for me) deeper.

One reason I think this material had this effect on me was the shock of reading an accurate description of myself in great detail, as if in a biography, in a book of types. The explanations it gave for my behavior were more believable than what I had been telling myself.