[Buddha-l] Enneagram and Buddhism

Timothy Smith smith at wheelwrightassoc.com
Mon Jan 5 11:54:53 MST 2009

I didn't read Richard's link, but I'm not surprised that there may be
those who
think this way.  My experience with field does not lead me to believe
that
there is a consensus that we are 'born' with a dominant type.  Having
said that,
I can only say that I have no clue as to whether it is an accurate
claim or not.
I tend to side with those who believe that our characters are
developed in
response to our fundamental needs for security and affection.  There
is, however,
clearly an instinctual component that seems 'hard wired' almost from
birth.

I do think the tool is useful in buddhist practice.  Palmer has taken
pains to integrate
her Zen practice into her teaching and writing.  Using the vice to
virtue conversion
is precisely what Richard described as his own practice to reduce
'wrath' (the vice of
Enneatype 1) through metta-bhavana.  In the quote I've added below you
can see
how the three poisons are addressed in this particular system
(mandatory buddhist content).

I'm not shilling for any particular approach, but this blurb might
prove informative
or at least trigger some curiosity to further explore these notions.

"On basic panels we hear how focus of attention organizes the
worldview of type: Fives see an intruding world; Sevens see a world of
many options; Fours live in a world where other people appear to have
more, and so on. Rather than being present to life as it is, each
type’s point of view constantly recreates itself through placements of
attention that foreground certain focal objects, while backgrounding
others.

The habitual way that people pay attention to their world creates a
subjective reality, or conditioned awareness, sometimes called a veil
of illusion. Conditioned awareness significantly alters being present
to things as they actually occur. Enneatype Fives, for instance, don’t
walk around looking for intrusions, they simply live in an intruding
world. Their awareness mechanically registers potentially intruding
events, whereas Eights might not notice those same events,
automatically denying their impact.

The feeling triad (Types Two–Three–Four) moves toward life, desiring
identity in the eyes of others. Their condition is to register
approval and suffer from its absence. Aversion is typical of the
mental triad (Five–Six–Seven) who moves away from a hazardous world.
The body-based triad (Eight–Nine–One) maintains a holding pattern of
not knowing – the denial of Eight, self-forgetting of Nine, and Ones
who judge life as it is. Desire, aversion and self-forgetting each
respond to specific meditation practices that spring the box of
conditioned awareness."

 From the Enneagram Worldwide site.

Timothy Smith
Wheelwright Associates