[Buddha-l] Enneagram and Buddhism

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Jan 4 20:55:56 MST 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 20:13 -0600, R B Basham wrote:

> I believe that the Enneagram is a presentational form of natural
> processes from the days of ancient numerology (sacred mathematics, etc.)
> and I recall seeing the image before in context of something else.

In this, as in all things, I have little interest in how things got
started or whether one can contaminate them with unsavory associations.
(I'm still stifling yawns over all the discussions of Jung that took
place while I was away.) My main interest is whether things work for
specific tasks. I thank those of you who have contacted me privately
with useful information. Perhaps we can now consider this discussion
closed. (Being a Nine, I avoid conflict at all costs.)

> Perhaps one of the history of philosophy buffs will speak up; and then,
> we can move on to the discussing the karma of oppressors and deniers.

Now that you put it that way, perhaps we should rename this list
enneagram-l and explore the various ways that enneagram theory has been
used to justify the Cambodian sex trade and the genocide of Armenians.

--
Richard