[Buddha-l] Voegelin and Nansen's cat

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 3 05:13:38 MST 2009

Dan Lusthaus schreef:
> Eric,
>

>> If this Voeglin is a Hegelian, he believes in ...
>>

> Impressive that you think you know what Voegelin believes without having
> heard of him or read a word of what he's written. Or for that matter,
> carefully looking at the blurb with which I introduced him. I said one of
> the things he is known for is his writings on Hegel. He was not a Hegelian.
> He was a political philosopher, with deep interests in history, religion and
> spirituality (Christian primarily), and an important theoretician on the
> nature of totalitarian states. Google around, or visit your library and look
> at his dozens of books to see what he did write about. You can start here:
> http://tinyurl.com/6wu9nc

Thanks Dan, you jogged my memory. I have read about him and I recall now
his emphasis on the symbols and the meaning history, so I was not far
off the mark. What really turned me off was hsi concept of absolute evil
in politics and an expression as 'the spirituality of evil'. To me he
belongs to the sort of people who see the image of the devil in the
smoke of the burning Twin Towers and suspect 9/11 was the punishment of
God or a conspiracy of the FBI.
> You don't have to end up agreeing with him on everything or anything in
> order to think of him as something other than an Austrian idiot. Having
> witnessed the rise of the Third Reich personally, predicting already in 1933
> with some degree of accuracy what it would lead to, and forced to flee his
> native Austria when it reached there, never to see his family again, gives
> his opinion some weight and authenticity.

He was certainly not the only one. In many countries in Europe there
were streetrumors of this kind as well.
>> I  always found that one of the most impressive principles of Buddhism is
>>
> to see the axis of evil in your own mind and not elsewhere.
>
> Do you think Nansen's cat would agree that his situation is only in your
> mind?

How about Schroedingers cat? And yep, life is all in and about your mind.

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950
Productie: http://www.olivepress.nl