[Buddha-l] Anti-semitism and Self-reflection

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Fri Jan 2 12:12:47 MST 2009

Gang,

Dan wrote,

> Where is Jung's "confession"? Where his contrition? He is not in the
> sangha, but perhaps this is grounds for his expulsion from the
> honorary luminary list.

I found this suggestion quite provocative. Not so much applying it to
Jung himself (who I consider to have had plenty of other faults that
already expel him from my personal list of luminaries), but to
ourselves.

If we want to remain on our own lists of luminaries, or if we aspire
to places there, we need to confess our own anti-semitism. Shocking? I
hope not. Well, okay, I do, but just a little. Just enough to jog us
into considering the lingering presence in ourselves of a kind of
passive anti-semitism. I imagine that on buddha-l the presence of
active anti-semitism is nil, but there is a pernicious kind of passive
anti-semitism that still exists in the form of denial. This passive
denial of our propensity to demonize the Other is, of course not
confined to demonizing Jews; we do it all the time and on many levels.
But there's something crystalizing (perhaps I should spell it
"Kristalizing") about anti-semitism that turns on the defensiveness
and denial in otherwise pretty self-reflective people. I think we see
this in the Jung debate, but it goes on all the time. For example, in
the contemporary Buddhist context we see this lack of reflection in
our denial of the misdeeds of Buddhist leaders. And, when confronted
with this, we see it in the denial of our own denial and ad hominem
attack on those confronting us. I am not speaking merely as a
distanced scholar here; I lived through this at Zen Center of Los
Angeles.

The work we do to perpetuate this blindness needs to be compensated by
work on removing it. I do not think we can ever fully remove it,
merely see through it. This marks me as a Mahayanist of the basest
sort, I suppose (either that or a Unitarian Universalist, but that
goes without saying). But I think this issue is fundamental: if we are
not perfectible (or if perfection is precisely imperfection, and
imperfection perfections), then we had damn well better be contrite.

Yours in imperfection,

Franz Metcalf