[Buddha-l] Jung and Dignaga and social mores

R B Basham bshmr at aol.com
Fri Jan 2 10:15:56 MST 2009

Denizens, or not,

This poor ignorant kid (without boots) in the country is less ignorant
now:

http://padmakumara.org/oldtbsn/teach/asura.htm
[ Quote ]

The third stage of mind is Asura mind . A jealous and bellicose mind.

Many cultivators could not progress beyond this stage, as they always
want to claim to be strong. Whatever others say must be wrong to them ,
and what they say must be right. Whatever they do are righteous, and
whatever others do must be evil.

Unfortunately many religious bodies are in this category.

Many religions seek to discriminate against those who hold different
views. They maintain that they are right and others are wrong. They are
the strongest, others are no match to them. This is a manifestation of
Asura mind. The third stage of mind is also known as "the mind of a
fearless, unwise child." Although this group of people have courage and
are fearless, the way they go about is incorrect.

Its a pity that those who are fearless end up having Asura minds.
[ /Quote ]

I entertained other explanations, which were non-buddhist, such as
diversion from the news exposing criminal acts of 'a stern (insane)
father' which triggered gross displacement and mania. The consideration
of mania led to consideration of BCF and BCV which correspond in large
part to 'asura mind'.

Appears to be another gap in my learning, not in my awareness, as I know
'it' when I see it. The contrapositive would be worse -- iffn that is
the appropriate 'educated' term ... .

>From a small, dirt poor parcel too close to a river and too far from a
tower,

Richard Basham