[Buddha-l] CFP: Contemporary Buddhism

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 18:35:52 MST 2009

It might be helpful to distinguish between western (locational) and
westernized (habituational). I think the locational sense is becoming less
clear, or even relevant. There is so much cultural mobility.

Most young urban Singaporean are westernized and think being a Christian is
cool. The yuppy phenomenon is still here. I am myself the product of the
last of the British colonial educational system in Malaysia.

For most local Buddhists here, "western" means the white man. We also have a
weird local phenomenon where there are those who dye their hair some shade
of blonde. On rare occasions (of the local is fair-skinned) he could be
mistaken for "ang-mo" (a red-haired devil = westerner).

So most local Buddhists first categorise between the white westerner and
locals. Then amongst the locals, the titled ("Dr" of any colour is esp
respectable) and the untitled. In short, as you go higher in the Buddhist
social echelons here, the more status counts.

Thailand may hav e the lese majeste law, but much of the Buddhist communbity
here is still feudalistic too. This is to be expected where the monks here
are highly brahminized.

Piya Tan