[Buddha-l] Akālika Forum

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Sat Feb 21 17:08:47 MST 2009

Dear Curt et al.,

Somehow I find I agree with everything you (and Taigen) wrote in your
post, and yet I don't think it contradicts what I was asserting.

We do, as you say, indeed all enjoy absolving ourselves of past (and
current) sins. And Zen has, as Taigen says, been appropriated in the
West as various things that reduce or distort it. But it is precisely
scholars of Zen--such as Taigen himself--who have freed some of us
Western appropriators from some of our illusions and delusions about
Zen. Taigen should know, as he speaks with the greatest authority on
this, being simultaneously a top tier scholar and a genuine Zen master.

Which leads me to thank you, Curt, for the link to Taigen's latest
book. Didn't know about this latest oeuvre.

Thanks,

Franz