[Buddha-l] Akālika Forum

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Sat Feb 21 13:40:22 MST 2009

Gang,

Apart from any possible veracity of unverifiable Buddhist experience,
it's the extremely inaccurate characterization of Buddhist scholars as
having no possibility of understanding a Dhamma" that rankles me here.

That said, I believe the situation among Buddhist scholars was quite
different when Ñāṇavīra Thera wrote his words. Things have
changed, at least in the United States. Most scholars I studied with
at the (very un-practice oriented) University of Chicago were
definitely engaged with the Dharma personally, And even though most
have not go on to become card-carrying Buddhists, I believe they do
continue to have what the good bhikkhu calls "a vertical view" of
Buddhism and of life. I wonder what he would say today, about the
quality of scholarship on Buddhism. Think of scholars like Professor
and Lama (!) John Makransky. Perhaps we'd get a bit more credit now.

Franz