[Buddha-l] Sangharakshita's memoir

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 20:41:41 MST 2009

I suppose we would enjoy such works better when we do not know the writer
personally, and to read it as fiction. When we create our own past in our
favour, we write memoirs; when we have mostly bad past memories we mass bomb
others. Anyway, try reading the book and then meeting the man himself while
he still lives.

Someone should write on the psychosocial study of the development of the
F/WBO from the beginning to date (like Erik Ericson's "Young Man Luther"). I
know some papers have been written, but not a complete book.

The spiritual visions of some of the more dedicated practitioners who have
risen above Sangharakshita/Lingwood, like Subhuti/Kennedy and
Kamalashila/Matthews (and a few others at the tongue-tip) are worth
studying.

I think the Dharmacharis should revert to their old names (after all we
orientals pride in calling ourselves David, Kennedy and Matthew, rather than
Subhuti, etc). This would be a true rite of passage of returning to the
source, your true selves.

(John Holmes, hope you are doing well, if you are reading this. Not sure if
you are with them or without them.)

Piya Tan