[Buddha-l] Ecological Buddhism

Kdorje at aol.com Kdorje at aol.com
Mon Feb 16 10:14:20 MST 2009

In a message dated 2/16/2009 4:45:41 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
mike at lamrim.org.uk writes:

jkirk  wrote:

>Joanna [Macy] finds that many people (especially those  drawn to
>Eastern paths) have developed notions about spirituality  that
>hinder them from realizing their power to effect change.?  Among
>the 'spiritual traps' that cut the nerve of compassionate  action
>are these:
>
>1. That the phenomenal world of beings  is not real.? With this
>view the pain of others and the demands on us  that are implicit
>in that pain are less tangible than the pleasures or  aloofness we
>can find in transcending them.
>
>2. That any  pain we may experience in beholding the world derives
>from our own  cravings and attachments.? With this view, the ideal
>way to deal with  suffering becomes nonattachment to the fate of
>all beings, not just  nonattachment to matters of the ego.
>
>3. That we are constantly  creating our world unilaterally through
>our subjective thoughts.?  Confrontation is considered negative
>thinking, acceptance is positive.?  Therefore it is concluded that
>when we confront the injustice and  dangers of our world we are
>simply creating more conflict and  misunderstanding.
>
>4. And the corollary, that the world is  already perfect when we
>view it spiritually.? We feel so peaceful that  the world itself
>will become peaceful without our need to  act.

I think Joanna Macy may be applying a bit of 'overbend' here  in order to
achieve a straight pipe. There would be similar traps in her  approach if
one were to fully embrace it. One trap would be to direct  one's critical
eye away from oneself and to others - an attempt to 'fix'  the phenomenal
world.  The move would be from individual practitioner  to politician, or
activist. That is, a move from one who seeks to change  'self' to one who
seeks to change 'other.'

It is very tempting to  do this. When I read her four points, the thought
arose in my mind, "Yes.  I know other practitioners like this and we need
to change them." Of  course, I have these tendencies myself. It is easier
to find a  misunderstanding than an understanding, because there are more
of them. It  is easier to find an 'other' who seems to misunderstand than
a 'self' who  misunderstands, because there are more of them also.

It appears to me  that attention to one's own behaviour is more likely to
be productive than  attention to the behaviour of others. Balance between
these two is  required, and the balance could be a bit different for each
of us. I feel  in no position to tackle the politics and economics of the
world, but it  may be within my capacity to help occasional individuals.

In my  experience,  if I become engaged by taking a lot of external stuff
on, it can lead to a scattered mind that jeopardises my ability to be of
any real help in the future. It is not a sustainable option. It has less
benefit in the long run.

There are many things 'wrong' in this  world.  I do not hope to fix them,
because I cannot fix them. Indeed,  it would be like trying to repair the
sea rather than rescuing  people.  Joanna Macy's points are fine if taken
as a critique of  oneself, but could lead us astray, like the quail going
out of its range  (Sakunagghi Sutta - The Hawk. SN 47.6)

--
Metta
Mike  Austin

I agree that there is an "overbend" above, but even more the analysis seems
to take as it starting points premises that not all would agree to, especially
 points 2 and 3. For most Americans, indeed for most citizens of liberal
democracies, political involvement is limited to merely having opinions of like
and dislike---and "heavily involved in politics" equates to "deeply held
opinions that I express to all my friends until they avoid me, and are  therefore
part of the problem and not part of the solution."

For those actually involved in legislative and electoral processes an
analysis is quite different, and contrary to the above Buddhism can be quite
helpful in achieving one's purposes. Electoral politics, and even more so, the
legislative processes, are chaotic business. It is easy to become distracted and
loose sight of one's goals. Lobbying involves dealing successfully with
legislators, lobbyists, administrators, and others, all of whom are  enmeshed in an
ever-shifting seamless web of alliances and competing interests  and agendas,
as is the actor. It is easy to become distracted with others'  issues and
neglect implementation of one's own. Having a clear mind is  essential, and
Buddhism can help develop that clarity of purpose, both by  training the mind in
attaining focus, and by inculcating a sense of  non-attachment that encourages
the kind of creative thought that is so helpful  in making decisions about how
to effect the passage of one's legislation (or  contra, the defeat of
legislation one opposes), or in securing funding, or  raising or eliminating taxes, or
whatever is the project at hand.

Best wishes,

Konchog Dorje

steps!