[Buddha-l] Darwin's 200th centennial

Catalina c_castell at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 14 04:14:27 MST 2009

Carol said:

"The poor have more children and this will produce more
labour and thus more resources for them. Poverty causes
large families.

The rich, with variants according to culture, have to
spend more money bringing up each child. Therefore there
is a tendency to have less children. Children will reduce
their income, not increase it. "

These assertions are too generalised for me...Don't think is just a money subject. Also is different depending if they are living on the country side or in big cities.  I think not only poor have more children...and also that this is more a cultural than poverty thing...In some cultures to have children is more important than in others for instance. In  some places the contraceptive information or means are more complicated nor accessible nor accepted  that in others. The idea that more children will produce more labour and resources does not exist in some cultures...it would be the opposite...

Cheers,

Catalina