[Buddha-l] Jayarava's Rave Jan 30th--Rethinking Indian History

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Mon Feb 2 20:34:22 MST 2009

Bruce Burrill wrote:

> It is very odd. Some lengthy replies are fine; other become this
> massive run-on sentence that is impossible to read.

I suspect this is due to one of the oldest inter-operabiity problems:-
differences in the new line characters used in text files on Windows
PC's, Apple Mac and Linux/Unix/OSX systems.

Windows & MS DOS uses a carridge return (CR) character followed by a
Line feed (LF) character (CR+LF, 0x0D 0x0A) at the end of a line

Apple Macintosh up to OS-9 used only CR (Carriage Return, 0x0D) character.

Unix like systems (Unix, GNU/Linux, AIX, Xenix, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, etc.)
use only a LF (Line feed, 0x0A) character.

Some other systems use other characters or combinations of characters.

Good mail clients should handle all of these transparently. Some mail
clients may strip some of these characters and/or not recognize them as
line breaks.

- Chris