[Buddha-l] Jayarava's Rave Jan 30th--Rethinking Indian History

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 17:22:06 MST 2009

A close study of such Suttas as the Amba.t.tha Sutta shows that the Buddha
or the compilers of the Sutta are very familiar with the earlly Upanishads:
see eg

http://dighanikaya.googlepages.com/21.3AmbatthaSd3piya.pdf

That the Buddha might not have been aware of the brahminical literature is
more of a colonial-era and early 20th century Buddhist scholarship (and
perghaps traduitional cutural Buddhism). So Jayarava's view might be a sort
of recidivism but we need more textual evidence here, not mere philosophical
conjectures.

Best wishes,

Piya Tan