No subject

Fri Dec 11 18:24:13 MST 2009

it to Ajahn Brahmavamso (according to Ajahn Brahm himself), when he (Ajahn =
Chah) visited Ajahn Brahm in the hospital. He was admitted for yellow fever=
, if I am not mistaken.
=A0
Best wishes,
Rahula

--- On Wed, 3/17/10, Richard Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:

From: Richard Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu>
Subject: [Buddha-l] Source of alleged quote
To: "Buddhist discussion forum" <buddha-l at mailman.swcp.com>
Date: Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 7:55 AM

Years ago, a Buddhist monk told me what has become one of my favourite quot=
ations attributed to the Buddha. Someone reportedly asked the Buddha for wo=
rds of comfort to give someone who was ill. The Buddha reportedly replied "=
If you get sick, one of two things will happen. Either you'll get better or=
 you'll get worse. If you get worse, one of two things will happen. Either =
you'll get better or you'll die."

The monk who told me says he heard it from Ajahn Chah. Does anyone know whe=
ther a passage like this occurs in a canonical text, or is it one of those =
things the Buddha surely would have said if he had thought of it?

Richard Hayes