[Buddha-l] "Western Self, Asian Other"

Alex Wilding alex at chagchen.org
Wed Dec 30 19:51:41 MST 2009

Hi Joanna,
I think these things got born in the days when just over 100 ASCII
characters was all we could use on the net. The habit grew up of marking the
start and end of *bold text* with asterisks, the start and end of
_underlined text_ with underscores and so on. In fact some formatters now
will even take the things I just wrote and display them as genuinely bold
and underlined words.
I believe single and double quotes are simple and safe from virtually all
formatting tricks. Fancy quotes (66s and 99s etc.) can either be shown
simply, or can on occasion cause foul-ups.

All the best
Alex Wilding
Blog: Dang Zang (http://alex-wilding.com/)