[Buddha-l] Sounds of the Real Japan

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Dec 28 21:27:22 MST 2009

On Dec 28, 2009, at 4:43 PM, Katherine Masis wrote:

> All this has made me wonder:  How in the world can we fight back against the speaker and TV pollution that has invaded the entire planet?

A couple of decades ago the secretary of a department I was teaching in told me she had finally, after weeks of being unable to read or sleep because of music being blasted from the apartment next door, worked up the nerve to ask her constantly noisy neighbor if he would mind turning down his stereo. He reportedly glared at her and said "Listen, lady, I don't complain about your silence," and slammed the door.

>  I’ve found a gadget that will turn off unwelcome TV’s in public places

Those things are great. One of my colleagues got one for Christmas a few years ago. Whenever we went someplace for coffee and conversation, he would push a button on a device on his keychain, and all the televisions would go off. What amused us the most was that no one ever seemed to notice.

> the technological onslaught seems overwhelming.

And so you do what about it? Write an email using a computer connected to the energy-sucking Internet? Katherine, Katherine, Katherine.

> If anyone on this list can cheer me up, please do.  Buddhist content?  Plenty!

Sorry, but there is nothing to be cheerful about. This is buddha-l. We only do despair around here.

Richard