[Buddha-l] FW: H-ASIA: CFP Buddhism and Nordland, Tallinn, Estonia, Sep 2010

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Fri Dec 18 17:20:40 MST 2009

I'm Pärtly there with the double CD of his, Kanon Pokajanen,
recorded 1997.
It's sort of puts one to sleep, and all that.
Reminiscent of the effect of another Buddhist composer, Philip
Glass.
But ever susceptible to music, I'll check out the link you
posted.

Speaking of peace: the recent conclave of nations at
Chirpenhammen is a convincing testimonial to the fact that
anything worthwhile only works on a local basis, including peace
(as compared to the unpeaceful demos by thousands that do nothing
but get in the papers).
Therefore, I vote to decommission the UN and the European
Parliament--two gigantic bureacuracies that end up wasting
resources and energy while accomplishing nothing.

Even international Sakhyadita these days seems to be basically on
hold, so far as doing anything but hold conferences.  (I just
tried to connect to what appears to be the main link to it on
google and connection was stopped by my firewall as a threat,
with big red letters.  So much for peace, eh?)

Peacefully yours,
JK
=============

On Dec 18, 2009, at 3:36 PM, JKirkpatrick wrote:

> Wouldn't this be fun to go to? In September--a season of
glorious
> color, one might hope, that far north and all that~~~~~ Bet
getting
> there costs a bundle.

You could save yourself a bundle by renting "The Singing
Revolution." It should warm the heart of any Buddhist who has
leanings toward pacifism and Baltic music. For years I have been
a huge fan of Arvo Pärt, about whom I learned from a Buddhist
violinist who, like me, took Buddhism to be an invitation to
pacifism. Of course, liking music of any sort pretty much
disqualifies one as a legitimate Buddhist, but I'm content being
only Pärtly a Buddhist.

If you haven't seen the movie, take a look at the trailer at
http://www.singingrevolution.com/ (In the interest of full
disclosure, I must confess I once had an Estonian dentist, who
was a Gandhian pacifist, so my biases should be regarded with
caution and subjected to the full rigors of the hermeneutics of
suspicion.)

Richard