[Buddha-l] Best translations of DIAMOND SUTRA?

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 9 12:30:01 MST 2009

I agree fully with Richard Nance that it is worthwhile comparing the
translations of Harrison and Schopen with Conze. I recommended Conze because
I sensed -- rightly or wrongly -- that the request was not exactly for an in
depth scholarly treatment, but for a reliable treatment accessible to the
non-scholar.

Richard's disdain for Conze, while understandable in a certain sense, is
also somewhat unfair. Conze, aside from his eccentricities (and how many
scholars of that generation were not eccentric, or Nazis, or just all out
weird people? Not many), was a pioneer in Prajnaparamita studies, and laid a
good groundwork for others to follow. His opinions were sometimes daft or
ill considered, but amidst all that was some sound scholarship. A
discriminating reader needs to cull the wheat from the chaff when reading
his works. I have less trouble with his translations, but find his surveys
of Buddhism inane and better avoided. His Diamond Sutra translation will not
do you any damage... and it certainly won't answer all your questions, but
it might shift them around.

The Harrison version is part of the publication and studies of the Buddhist
manuscripts of the Schøyen Collection (the Schøyen collection includes
non-Buddhist manuscripts as well, such as cuneiform texts, Babylonian,
Sumerian, etc.). This sort of work makes scholars drool.

Dan