[Buddha-l] Lamas and such

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 7 08:07:44 MST 2009

Dan,

Dan Lusthaus schreef:
> The context for xiao sheng (hiina yaana) is the contrast with da sheng
> (mahaa yaana). As mentioned, da vs xiao is valuative, with the positive,
> higher values going to the da side. Always. (though the early Daoists tried
> to play with strategic reversals of this).

In that case it's Popper vs. Adler, so you're always right.
> The English word "in" can mean a variety of things, a mere preposition. But
> when it becomes a valuative adjective contrasted with "out" -- such as the
> "in group" vs the "out group" -- what's "in" is assigned positive value, and
> the out group gets thumbs down (sports, fashions, music, cliques, etc.).
> When magazines set up their quick-features as "what's in" and "what's out",
> the reader immediately knows which column is favored and is being
> recommended.

Thank you for pointing out the ins and and outs of 'in'. I personally
hate an in-crowd, I hate crowds even if they're out. Inmates are not my
favourite pals, though they like to be out. As a philosopher I'm in for
to be an outsider and to think out of the box if I have it in me. But if
it's in I'm out.

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950