[Buddha-l] Lamas and such

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 13:32:34 MST 2009

Hi Dan,

> The objectionability of the term [lamaism] -- comparable to the
> objectionability of "Mohammedism" for Islam -- is that it suggests the main
> object of veneration and worship is Lamas (or Mohammed). Arguably Tibetan
> and Mongolian Buddhists *do* venerate and even worship certain lamas (Hello,
> Dalai), but that is not the "main" object of worship.
>
> A devil's advocate might argue that Lamaism simply indicates something
> *distinctive* about Tibetan and Mongolian Buddhism that distinguishes them
> from other forms of Buddhism, namely lamas. Thus it would be, the argument
> goes, no different than Theravada (or the Skt version, Sthaviravada), since
> the distinctive institutional feature in that case would be the authority of
> the "elders" (thera, sthavira).
The Lama is the the source of the Three Refuges and the essence of the
Three Roots. Below are some quotes from a letter by Khandro Rinpoche, a
contemporary teacher, to show the importance of a lama. If one has a
lama, s/he is one's refuge and object of devotion. In case one hasn't
found one's lama yet,  then one can generate devotion towards the Three
Jewels.

As for the devil's advocate's argument. This is simply what happens
within religions when there is a difference of opinion. The mainstream
religion is called by a certain name and those differing form the
mainstream dogma will be referred to by a name indicating their
particular differentiating dogma. Lamaism differs from other forms of
Buddhism because of its belief in the lama being the source of the Three
Refuges and the essence of the Three Roots. Likewise for pudgalavaadins,
Pure Land, Ch'an etc.

Joy

New Year Letter to the Sangha from Jetsün Khandro Rinpoche 25 February 2009
http://mindrollinginternational.org/news-announcements/090225_JKRNewYearLetter.cfm

 "I urge you all to work in strengthening your devotion to the Three
Jewels and the Three Roots. Along with the intellectual hunger, I hope
you all also realize that many times, very easily, our connection to
Dharma in an intellectual way maybe just another form of excuse to avoid
bringing true changes within oneself without which liberation from this
samsara and the abandoning of its seed, our habitual tendencies, is
impossible. Giving rise to devotion is of utmost importance to anyone on
the Vajrayana path. Devotion is the most skilful means of letting go of
grasping and clinging to ourselves and the phenomena. It is imperative
that at some point we get to a point of exhaustion of our ego and all
the doubts, hesitations and intellectualizations that we bring to our
practice path. Sometimes we hesitate to talk about devotion because it
seems "old-fashioned" or like "brainwashing." In this day and age, it is
considered smarter to ask questions and express doubts. I am not saying
that questioning is not important."

"Devotion to the Guru and the dharma is what gives us the humility to
know that we need to really work hard in transforming ourselves."

"So let us all bring to mind our precious Guru, the source of all refuge
and the essence of Three Roots-Kyabje Mindrolling Trichen."

"If you are someone still looking for a Guru to whom you can generate
irreversible devotion, then generate it for the Three Jewels. Do not
rush into finding a teacher just so you can experiment with devotion and
find out if it works for you. Go into it slowly but build it from
strength to strength until such a time comes that simply bringing the
Guru's face to mind can uncoil any klesha, allowing oneself to rest in
true equanimity."