[Buddha-l] FW: H-ASIA: New Book: Buddhist Warfare

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Dec 4 09:22:29 MST 2009

Talk about straw man arguments.

For "Though traditionally regarded as a peaceful religion" one should
read "though consistently misrepresented by a few westerners as a
pacifist religion".

For "Buddhism has a dark side" one should read "we are going to try to
do everything we can to obfuscate the yawning abyss that separates
intrinsically violent and intolerant religions such Christianity and
Islam from the vast majority of religions throughout human history, such
as Buddhism."

For "On multiple occasions over the past fifteen centuries, Buddhist
leaders have sanctioned violence" one should read "although neither the
Buddha nor any significant Buddhist teacher in history has ever
advocated pacifism, nevertheless we are going to portray any deviation
from pacifism as if it were somehow a failure and a deviation from the
teachings of the Buddha."

And so forth.

Curt