[Buddha-l] Lamas and such

Chris Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Fri Dec 4 09:13:24 MST 2009

S. A. Feite wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2009, at 1:21 AM, Franz Metcalf wrote:

>> Whatever the meaning of "bla-ma" in Tibetan (thank you, Dan and Kate),
>> I think the meaning in English necessarily differs, for historical
>> reasons. Without being able to prove it, I assert there is no question
>> the English term "Lamaism" is analogous to "Popery" and is thus
>> distorted, reductive, and pejorative. Please consider the historical
>> and intellectual context of the origin of this English word and apply
>> a little hermeneutic of suspicion.

> I do believe you nailed it. First western use of the word appears to
> be descriptive of Kalmyk converts to Christianity. By the time it was
> in use by Theosophists it had taken on the meaning of a degenerate
> form of Tibetan Buddhism, as opposed to a more pure, uncorrupted form.

> Steve

I thought Blavatsky was rather enamoured of Tibet - wasn't it where her
"mahatmas" and masters were supposed to reside?

When Wadell wrote about "Lamaism" I'm sure he looked on it as some kind
of Oriental equivalent of Catholicism or Papisism - OTOH when Blofeld
used the term, do you think he was being disparaging?

Recently I was surprised to hear some Tibetan friends referring to their
own religion as Lamaism. They don't seem to have a problem with the word.

- Chris