[Buddha-l] Lamas and such

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 4 08:39:33 MST 2009

Joy Vriens schreef:
> Hi John,
>
>> I have never heard the term "zielenboer" before and google does not return
>> any hits.
>>

> Probably because it's a neologism.
> In fact agent particles like "ma", "pa", "ba", "mo" etc. are called
> "ming mtha'" ("name ends") and can be added to a noun to design an agent
> (professions etc.). E.g. the word "zhing" (field) followed by "pa" makes
> zhing-pa, literally  a field-er, a farmer. "rta" is a horse and rta-pa a
> horse rider. "yi ge " is a letter/syllable and yi-ge-pa a scribe or
> copyist. So if you have "bla" (soul) and you use a nominalising "name
> end", with its professional undertones, to express an agent, then you
> could translate bla-ma as a "soul-er".
>
> I got the idea for "farmer" from the combination zhing-pa (field-er =
> farmer). The Dutch -boer can be added to jobs that usually have a nice
> ring to them in order to attenuate the nice ring. Like an "estate agent"
> becomes a "huizenboer" (house farmer) and a stock broker an
> "aandelenboer" (share farmer). Hence the "zielenboer" (soul farmer). If
> the neologism "soul farmer" ever makes it as a standard translation for
> lama, I would like this post to be included in etymological dictionaries.

It wouldn't stand a chance, I'm afraid. 'Boer' refers to someone who cultivates (from boer < bouwer < bouwen < ... < bhū; see also Heidegger's text 'Bauen Wohnen Denken - Vorträge und Aufsätze 1951). So a 'zielenboer' or soulfarmer would be someone who grows, cultivates, produces, delivers souls. We have a fairly common word for the etymology you describe: 'zielszorger' or pastor, someone who takes care of souls.

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950
Productie: http://www.olivepress.nl