[Buddha-l] buddha-l gathering

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 4 03:47:43 MST 2009

JKirkpatrick schreef:
> The journey of Indian tales through the Arab countries to Europe
> and the Americas is also a fascinating subject, but it's a
> different field of interest. I think it's difficult to compare
> the influence of the relic in question with the Tales of 1001
> Nights or other stories that became familiar in the West.
>
> Erik
> ============
> Hi Erik,
>

> I'm unclear as to what you refer to as "the relic"?
> Please advise.....

I mean the relic or rather relics of St Josaphat: a part of a spine and an unspecified piece of bone. The power of relics and monuments from a believers point of view is that they indicate a presence, they are metonyms. These relics refer to the physical presence of St Josaphat as a pars pro toto. He is not around anymore but he does take part in human history. He's not a figure from a comic book.
The story of St Josaphat is a symbol, stories don't refer to a presence because one usually tells stories about persons who are absent.
This is the reason I think the Buddha gave orders about the way his ashes should be handled.

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950
Productie: http://www.olivepress.nl