[Buddha-l] Lamas and such

Kate Marshall marshallarts at bigpond.com
Thu Dec 3 21:25:18 MST 2009

...> "Lama" is Tibetan bla-ma of
> the transliteration of the phrase, bla (top) and ma (person) of the
> compound
> words, literally translated as Exalted....

This is more or less my understanding of the word "Lama," too - though the
definition I was given is "Superior One" rather than "Exalted."

Apparently, "Lama" is a non religious word commonly used in Tibet to
describe any type of person in authority (such as a landlord, restaurant
owner, or head farmer) and is not exclusively a religious or spiritual
title.  A Lama does not have to be a Buddhist.

Perhaps objection is raised against the term "Lamaism" because it is
non-specific and doesn't really mean anything.

Regards
Kate